1. What are the parameters to be considered for designing a haul road in an opencast mine? What are the statutory requirements regarding haul roads in an opencast mine? What precautions would you take to prevent forward runaway of vehicles in haul roads?
2. Is the present system of inquiring into accidents in mines adequate? Suggest a model system of “Accident Inquiry”.
3. What, in your opinion is the role of “tripartite consultation” in the matters of safety in mines? How “Safety Committees” can be made more effective?
4. What are the provisions under the Metalliferous Mines Regulation-1961 in respect of the following-
(a) Duties and responsibility of Surveyors
(b) Precautions regarding moving parts of machinery
(c) Inspection after shot-firing
(d) Pointing out of contraventions during inspection by an Inspector of Mines
5. Write the definitions of the following as given in the Mines Act-1952. What are their limitations in the present day context of “outsourcing” and “globalization”? What amendments would you suggest for the definitions?
(a) Mine (b) Owner
6. What is a “safety management plan”? How would you prepare such a plan in your mine? What could be its benefits?
7. Write a safe “code of practice” for use of tipping trucks and pay-loaders in an opencast mine.