1. What are the requirements of MMR-1961 regarding formation of benches in float or other similar deposit and where work is done with help of heavy machinery? What factors affect short-term and long term stability of benches in different types of strata?
2. There are a few houses made of brick-in-cement and a few made of mud, not belonging to the owner, within 50-100m of the open cast workings. Discuss the statutory requirements and precautions to be taken while blasting. State the maximum permissible limits of vibration in respect of such houses.
3. (a) Write short notes on functions of safety committee and selection of operators for earth moving equipments and,
(b) While a mechanical helper was driving a dumper to carry diesel to a quarry a person riding a cycle on haul road was run over and killed instantly. What safety provisions were disregarded?
4. (a) What are notified occupational diseases of open cast mines and who are most vulnerable to contract them? What precautions do you suggest to minimize their incidence?
(b) Sketch and describe a dust extractor for use in drilling shot holes.
5. (a) What are provisions of MMR-1961, regarding “Right of worker’s representative to inspect the register maintained under mines rules-1955?
(b) What types of plans and sections are to be maintained in an open cast mine?
(c) What features are to be shown on water danger plan?
6.(a) Explain with examples, contraventions of IER, which may cause accidents due to shock
(b) give particulars of different notices that are required to be furnished to electrical inspector of mines.
7. A steeply pitching 90m wide Iron Ore body with its foot wall in contact with phyllites was being worked by open cast method in a mechanized mine. Suddenly a large fall of sides on footwall side occurred over a strike length of 500m burying much equipment and damaging many benches. Write a report stating circumstances attending this dangerous incident, precautions that might have been omitted and remedial measures. Assume other conditions wherever necessary.