1. The rate of accidents due to HEMM is very high in your mine. How would you approach the problem and what steps would you take to improve the situation?
2. Explain the factors responsible for slope failure in open cast mines. Describe suitable measures to overcome such failures. How does the slope angle affect the economics of the pit?
3.(a) Explain with examples the contraventions of IER, which may cause accidents due to shock.
(b) Discuss the protection you would provide to a belt conveyor in a 5 Km. long tunnel against fire.
4. What are the statutory provisions regarding appointment and duties of workmen’s inspector? What are the merits and demerits in workers participation in management?
5. State and comment upon statutory requirements in respect of –
(a) Use of more than one type of explosive in any shot hole
(b) Extraction of barrier common to the adjacent mine
(c) Varying dimensions of benches beyond the specified limits
(d) The maximum number of shots permitted to be fired by a blaster in a shift
6.(a) Give an organizational chart for a mechanized Iron Ore Mine producing 3.5 MT per year
(b) state the statutory provisions regarding occupational health survey in mines.
7. While four workers were engaged in removal of alluvium with the help of crowbars at the top of a quarry having side of four meters of height, which was undercut to a depth of 1.2m at its toe. A portion of the side measuring 3 X 1.2 X 1.8 m gave away beneath their feet resulting in the fall of persons to the bottom of the pit along with the collapsed mass. All of the four got buried and died.
Write a report of enquiry along with a sketch stating clearly the events prior to the accident, occurrence of the accident , contraventions of statutory provisions if any, responsibility and recommendations to avoid similar accident.
8(a) What are the hazards that can arise due to electricity?
(b) What are precautions that you take in a conveyor belt passing through a tunnel of 5Km. long, to prevent fire accidents?