1. Consumptions of explosives at mechanized open cast mine has increased over the last 5 months without any corresponding increase in ore produced. Discuss the various possible causes for such an increase. Suggest steps to correct the situation.
2. When 50 cartridges primed with electrical detonator were being head carried in a basket from a dry place where these were prepared, to the face where hole had been charged with explosives, it started drizzling. The carrier mazdoor covered the basket with a plastic sheet. A few seconds later the primers went off. The carrier was killed instantly. Prepare an enquiry report into the accident. Discuss all possible causes of detonation.
3. Can extraction of mineral go hand in hand with protection of environment? Or these are mutually inimical? Express your view on the vital topic.
4. Discuss the provisions in mines rules, which enable the workmen to participate in safe working of the mine. Suggest what may be done to make the provisions more effective.
5. Low morale of workmen at a mechanized mine has been identified as the, cause of decline in production there over the last one year, suggest-
I. An incentive scheme for workmen and their first line supervisor.
II. Steps to create healthier work environment for achieving the productive target.
6. A mechanized mine working, approach a village. Complaints pour in from villagers. These arise mainly from ground vibration, air blast and flying fragment. What steps may be taken to keep these factors under check and within acceptable limits?
7. What are the main factors, which would influence the slope stability in a mine working a steep ore body with phylitic clay along the footwall contact? Suggest steps to improve, without excess increase in stripping ratio. Also devise and explain a monitoring system, which would give a fore warning of a slope failure.