Several organizations seek to cope with changes by developing innovative ways not only to deal with change but also to promote it. One such innovative method is organizational development (OD). It shows great promise for helping organizations go through a process of change, renewal and revitalization. OD is a broad term referring to all the activities engaged in by the managers, employees and helpers which are directed towards building and maintaining the health of the organization as a total system. It is a comprehensive long term plan , rather than one undertaken by an individual manager.
Purpose of OD efforts: – According to Gene E. Burlon, “the primary purpose of OD is to bring about a system of organizational renewal that can effectively cope with environmental changes. In doing so OD strives to maximize organizational effectiveness as well as individual work satisfaction”. The other objectives of OD are the following:-
(1) To increase the level of trust and support among the people in the organization.
(2) To create an environment in which the authority of an assigned role is enhanced by personal authority based on expertise and knowledge.
(3) To increase the level of permanent and group responsibility in planning and implementation.
(4) To increase the openness of communication among the members of the organization.
(5) To search out or identify synergetic solutions to problems with greater frequency. The concept of “synergy” refers to the actions of two or three organisms working together to achieve an effort of which each alone is incapable or in other words “the additional value created through the interaction and integration of two or more sub-system working together”.(2+2=5)