(See Rule 6) Colour coding and type of container for disposal of bio-medical wastes
6. SEGREGATION, PACKAGING, TRANSPORTATION AND STORAGE
(1) Bio-medical waste shall not be mixed with other wastes.
(2) Bio-medical waste shall be segregated into containers/bags at the point of generation in accordance with Schedule II prior to its storage, transportation, treatment and disposal. The containers shall be labeled according to Schedule III.
(3) If a container is transported from the premises where bio-medical waste is generated to any waste treatment facility outside the premises, the container shall, apart from the label prescribed in Schedule III, also carry information prescribed in Schedule IV.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, or rules thereunder, untreated biomedical waste shall be transported only in such vehicle as may be authorised for the purpose by the competent authority as specified by the government.
(5) No untreated bio-medical waste shall be kept stored beyond a period of 48 hours
Provided that if for any reason it becomes necessary to store the waste beyond such period, the authorised person must take permission of the prescribed authority and take measures to ensure that the waste does not adversely affect human health and the environment.